Lodging your tax returns on time is a good thing
Why did the client come to us?
The reason the client came to Complete Accounting was due to the Australian Tax Office issuing them with a FINAL NOTICE to lodge 12 outstanding Income tax returns and 48 BAS’s.
Because the client delayed dealing with the FINAL notice, the number of outstanding income tax returns increased to 13 and the number of outstanding BAS’s increased to 55.
The reason that they came to Complete Accounting was because they were ready to deal with the problem and our referral partner trusted us to work with the client and fix the problem.
The steps to help this client
First of all we met with the client to discuss their situation and to reassure them that we can help. Next we undertook the following steps to help the client.
- Because each client is unique Complete Accounting prepares a customised Service agreement – this details how we are going to help and cost to provide the service.
- Contacted the Australian Taxation Office, during the phone call we;
- Negotiated a time frame to bring the client’s lodgements up to date;
- Put a stop to further legal action being taken on the FINAL NOTICE;
- Stopped additional interest being charged on the existing Tax office debt during the negotiated time frame to bring the lodgements back up to date.
- Undertook the preparation and lodgement of the outstanding Income tax returns and BAS’s.
- Prepared an interest and penalties remission submission.
- Collated the reasons why the client should receive full remission.
- Gathered evidence to support the submission.
- Submitted the submission and copies of the evidence to the tax office
- Finally, Presented the completed Income tax returns and BAS’s.
- All outstanding lodgements were lodged and paid.
- $19,528 remission of general interest charges on the BAS account.
- $10,450 remission of general interest charges on the BAS account.
- $42,841 remission of general interest charges on the Income tax account.
THE AMOUNT THE TAX OFFICE WANTED = $92,651
THE AMOUNT THE TAX OFFICE GOT = $19,832